3 & a 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
4 large eggs
1 & a 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
1 cup of butter (2 sticks), softened (no substitutions)
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract white sugar crystals (optional)
1. On waxed paper, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Separate 2 eggs, placing the yolks in small bowl and whites in another. Cover and refrigerate the whites; reserve them for brushing on cookies later.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat the sugar and butter until it's creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Beat in the 2 whole eggs, 2 egg yolks, and vanilla. Reduce the speed to low; gradually beat in the flour mixture until blended.
3. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until dough is firm enough to roll. (Or place dough in freezer for 30 minutes.)
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a large cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
5. On a lightly floured surface, with floured hands, press 1 piece of dough into 6" by 3" by 3/4" rectangle. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated.) Cut the rectangle into 30 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a 6-inch-long rope. Transfer 1 rope at a time to the cookie sheet; gently shape into a loop, with ends overlapping. Repeat with remaining ropes, placing cookies 1 inch apart. Brush cookies with the egg whites; sprinkle with the sugar crystals if you like.
6. Bake the cookies 11 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
7. Repeat with the remaining dough, egg whites, and sugar crystals. Store cookies in tightly covered container at room temperature up to 1 week, or in the freezer up to 3 months.
Yields about 9 dozen cookies.
Cooking time of approx. 11 minutes per batch.
Preparation time approx. 70 minutes.
Based on individual serving.
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 13 mg
Sodium: 40 mg
Carbohydrates: 6 g
Fiber: 0 g
Protein: 1 g
"Back to Recipes Main Index"
"Back to Hints & Tips Main Index"
"Back to Main "Purple" Section Index"
"Back to Main Entry Page for other Sections"
Go Back to the page you just came from
This page has been accessed times.
© vjr All Rights reserved.