It's Summer. Oranges are at a great price, but you purchased a few more than you can eat. Now what do you do with them?
1. Make juice out of the oranges and then use the peels for Candied Orange Peels.
2. Use the leftover syrup from Candied Orange Peels on pancakes or French Toast. The syrup can also be used to make popsicles.
3. Wash the peels thoroughly. Grate the peel before using and freeze the rest for a later use.
4. Cut up the orange segments and use as a garnish for salads. Use in fruit salad or sliced as a side dish.
5. Cut up slices and use as a garnish for meat or relish dishes.
6. Cut up the peels. In a saucepan add peels, one cinnamon stick, a few cloves and fill to the top with water. Simmer for a nice potpourri or dry peels and use in dry potpourri.
EASY ORANGE MARMALADE
1 Tablespoon of water
1/2 cup sugar
Cut the un-peeled orange and place into a blender or food processor with the water. Pour mixture into a saucepan with the sugar and boil for 15 minutes.
NOTE* If you are using a non-organically grown orange, wash the peels thoroughly before peeling. Personally, I would suggest washing them well anyway.
CANDIED ORANGE PEEL
Peels from three large oranges, grapefruits or lemons
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups of sugar
Cut the peel on each fruit into quarters. Pull the peel off in these quarter sections. Slice peel into 1/4 inch-wide strips. In a saucepan, add salt and cover with cold water. Boil for 15 minutes, pour off the water and add fresh water. Boil for 20 minutes. Change the water again and boil another 20 minutes. Drain and cover with 2 & a 1/2 cups of sugar and 1 cup water. Simmer, stirring it constantly, until all the syrup has boiled away. Do not let the peels scorch. Spread them on waxed paper. Roll the peels in the remaining sugar. Let it dry. Store them in an airtight container. These keep one week or they can be frozen.
NOTE* If you are using non-organically grown fruit, wash the peels thoroughly before peeling. It's advised you wash them anyway actually.
"Back to Recipes Main Index"
"Back to Hints & Tips Main Index"
"Back to Main "Purple" Section Index"
"Back to Main Entry Page for other Sections"
Go Back to the page you just came from
This page has been accessed times.
© vjr All Rights reserved.