3 cups of all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons of cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1 & a 1/2 cups of butter (3 sticks), softened (no substitutions)
1 cup of confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon of grated fresh lemon peel
1 & a 1/2 teaspoons of lemon extract
1/4 teaspoon of almond extract
1 & a 1/2 cups of confectioners' sugar
4 to 5 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
1 & a 1/2 teaspoons of grated fresh lemon peel
1. Prepare Lemon Cookies: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. On waxed paper, combine flour, cornstarch, and salt. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Beat in the lemon peel and extracts. Reduce speed to low; gradually beat in the flour mixture until blended, occasionally scraping bowl.
2. Divide the dough in half. Between two 20-inch sheets of waxed paper, roll half of the dough 3/8 inch thick. (If paper wrinkles during rolling, peel it off, then replace it to remove wrinkles.)
3. With floured 2 & a 1/4-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut dough into as many cookies as possible. With floured 3/4-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out and remove centers from cookies. Reserve centers and trimmings to reroll. With lightly floured wide spatula, carefully place cookies, 1 inch apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet. (If dough becomes too soft to transfer to cookie sheet, freeze 10 minutes until it's firm.)
4. Bake cookies 15 to 16 minutes or until edges are golden. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare Lemon Glaze: In a small bowl, with a wire whisk or fork, mix confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and lemon peel until blended. Dip top side of each warm cookie into the glaze. Place the cookies on a wire rack set over waxed paper to catch any drips. Allow glaze to set, about 20 minutes.
6. Repeat with remaining dough, reserved centers, trimmings, and glaze, adding a little water to the glaze if it begins to thicken. Store cookies, with waxed paper between layers, in a tightly covered container at room temperature up to 1 week, or in the freezer up to 3 months.
Yields about 6 dozen cookies.
Cooking time of approx. 15 minutes per batch.
Preparation time approx. 40 minutes.
Based on individual serving.
Total Fat: 4 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 11 mg
Sodium: 65 mg
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Fiber: 0 g
Protein: 1 g