These chill-and-bake cookies have a high nostalgia factor - They are the kinds of simple, crispy vanilla cookies that you must have eaten by the dozens when you were growing up. The basic recipe, reduced in fat and calories, will disappear from your cookie jar, but your family will enjoy the spiced version too.
Nonstick canola oil spray
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking POWDER
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 large egg
1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoon sugar, for dipping
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
2. In another medium bowl, using a handheld mixer set at medium speed, beat the 1 cup of sugar and the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the egg, corn syrup, and vanilla and beat until smooth.
3. Using a spoon, gradually stir in the flour mixture. Transfer the dough to a sheet of waxed paper and form it into a log about 12 inches long and 1 inch in diameter. Wrap the log of dough in the waxed paper and refrigerate until well-chilled, at least 2 hours or overnight.
4. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Lightly spray 2 nonstick cookie sheets with oil.
5. Unwrap the chilled dough. Place the 2 tablespoons of sugar in a small bowl. Using a thin, sharp knife cut the dough crosswise into 1/4 inch rounds. Dip each round in the sugar, place the cookies sugar side up, 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
6. One sheet at a time, bake the cookies until lightly browned around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. The centers may seem slightly underdone, but they will firm when cooled. Cool the cookies in the pan for 1 minute, then transfer to a wire cake rack to cool completely.
Spicy Cinnamon Cookies: Add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the dry ingredients. Stir 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves into the 2 tablespoons of sugar for dipping.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Fat: 2 grams
Protein: 1 grams
"Back to Recipes Main Index"
"Back to Hints & Tips Main Index"
"Back to Main "Purple" Section Index"
"Back to Main Entry Page for other Sections"
Go Back to the page you just came from
This page has been accessed times.
© vjr All Rights reserved.