Since these use oil for the shortening, the cookies are especially crisp, with just a bit of softness in the center.
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup canola oil, or corn oil
1/2 cup molasses
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1. Position 2 oven racks in the lower middle and upper middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg together and set aside.
3. Put the oil, molasses, brown sugar, and egg in the large bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed until smoothly blended together, about 30 seconds. On low speed add the flour mixture and mix until incorporated. Put the granulated sugar in a small bowl. Roll the dough by level tablespoons between the palms of your hands into 1 1/4-inch balls. Roll each ball in the sugar to coat. Place the cookie balls 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake the cookies for 8 minutes, reversing the baking sheets after 4 minutes, front to back and top to bottom, to ensure that they bake evenly. The cookies will be evenly brown and have large cracks across the top, and will flatten toward the end of their baking time. Cool them on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer them to wire racks to cool completely.
4. Good Advice: Measure the oil in a measuring cup, then use the same measuring cup to measure the molasses, and the molasses will not stick to the cup.
5. To Freeze: Place the bottoms of 2 cookies together and wrap them in plastic wrap. Put the wrapped cookies in a metal or plastic freezer container and cover tightly. Label with the date and contents. Freeze up to 3 months. To serve, cover the cookies with plastic wrap and defrost at room temperature. Serve within 4 days.
Fat: 6 grams
Protein: 1 grams
"Back to Recipes Main Index"
"Back to Hints & Tips Main Index"
"Back to Main "Purple" Section Index"
"Back to Main Entry Page for other Sections"
Go Back to the page you just came from
This page has been accessed times.
© vjr All Rights reserved.