This is another 'put a load away for a rainy day' recipes. You will need those aluminum mini loaf pans again for this one. This should make you about 10 or so of them. I suggest you spray them with pam as well. Easier clean up if you reuse the pans.
macaroni - hard to measure, say an 8 oz package and some. Don't worry about making too much, if there is leftover make the macaroni/tuna salad :-)
1/4 cup of butter or margerine
1/4 cup of flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
2 cups of 2% milk (skim milk is too thin for this recipe)
24 ounces of good quality medium or old chedder cheese. Shredded or Grated. Buy it by the block and shred it yourself, less expensive.
- shred/grate the cheese and put it aside. I know this sounds like a lot of cheese and it is but this is a large recipe and it makes this nice and cheesy with some left to sprinkle on top for a nice crust.
- cook the macaroni while you are grating the cheese and when done, set it aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium sized pot then remove it from the heat and then stir in the flour, salt & pepper until it is smooth. Gradually add the milk. Put it back on the stove and bring it to boiling while stirring. You have to stir or it can stick. Reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for one minute.
- Stir in about 12 ounces of the grated/shredded cheese to the above mixture a bit at a time until the full amount is in and melted. Simmer for another minute.
- Pour the sauce mixture into the macaroni. If it looks like you have made an awful lot of macaroni, remove some from the bowl first. You can always add more in. Stir this well to mix it all. It should be a creamy consistancy. You don't want the macaroni floating in it but you don't want it just covered either.
- Get those mini loaf pans ready, Pam them. Then start to scoop the cheesy macaroni into the individual pans. Fill them about 3/4's full. This is very filling plus you want to leave room for the sprinkled cheese on top. Take the remaining cheese and sprinkle some on top of each individual meal.
- Put heavy duty aluminum foil over the top of each individual mini loaf pan, label with what it is and the date and pop them in the freezer for future use.
If you wish to make this for dinner that night, I suggest you get a pie plate and fill it with the cheesy/macaroni mixture, sprinkle the extra grated cheese on top and pop it in the oven at 375 degrees until it is golden brown. Don't forget, this is basically already cooked.
"Back to Recipes Main Index"
"Back to Hints & Tips Main Index"
"Back to Main "Purple" Section Index"
"Back to Main Entry Page for other Sections"
Go Back to the page you just came from
This page has been accessed times.
© vjr All Rights reserved.