This makes a nice family meal. It's pretty fast and simple. It is done with a precooked ham and in the microwave except for the veggies that are steamed.
3 lb precooked ham
1 can of pineapple slices (rings) (in its own juice)
1/4 cup of brown sugar
a dozen or so red potatoes a nice sized stalk of broccoli
6 nice sized carrots
- place the ham, fat side down (if fat on it), on a shallow microwave proof baking dish. Cook on 70 (roast) for about 15 minutes. Take out the ham and flip it over.
- in the meantime, drain the pineapple slices, reserving the juice. Combine 2 teaspoons of juice with the brown sugar to make a paste.
- you can also cut your veggies now and have them ready to be steamed. You will need a large steaming pot for this. Veggies are much better for you steamed! They taste better, hold their colour better and keep more vitamins in. If you wish, you can boil your potatoes. Boil them for about 20 minutes if you buy the nice little red potatoes.
- once the ham if finished it's first cooking spread the sugar paste over the top of the now turned over ham. Put the pineapple slices all over it and secure them with toothpicks.
- cook this again on 70 (roast) for about 5 minutes. Let it stand on a counter covered with aluminum foil for about 5 minutes before serving.
- when you put the ham in for the last 5 minutes it is time to steam your veggies. Put a bit of water in the bottom of the steaming pot and your broccoli and carrots in the steamer part. Cover it and steam until ready. About 8 or so minutes will cover it. Check them after 6 minutes because you don't want them mushy. Once they are steamed to perfection take them off the heat and your ham should be about ready to slice as well.
"Back to Recipes Main Index"
"Back to Hints & Tips Main Index"
"Back to Main "Purple" Section Index"
"Back to Main Entry Page for other Sections"
Go Back to the page you just came from
This page has been accessed times.
© vjr All Rights reserved.